The Tibetan Language Institute is a 501(c)(3) educational non-profit organization, dedicated to benefiting the world through the preservation and teaching of the Tibetan language and culture. In this spirit, we provide excellent programs and develop easy-to-use learning materials that allow dharma students from all Tibetan spiritual traditions to more deeply explore and commit to their path.
For those interested in deepening their relationship to the Dharma through the study of Tibetan, TLI has a Tibetan language track. For those interested in learning more about Buddhism and its practices, TLI has a sub-branch—Big Sky Mind—wherein topics are taught in English.
What Our Students Say
It was indeed an excellent training. My expectations were exceeded. This was because of the very concrete content and frameworks that were showed and demonstrated skillfully. In addition, there was much extra content and great, deep discussion through which it was easy to gain simple individual learning points
My classes with Tibetan Language Institute have been awesome. I have been taking the classes for almost two months, twice a week and I am really happy about my improvement. Now I feel more comfortable and secure when speaking and more fluent, too
I liked the professional level of the workshop, the mindset and perspective of looking at cultural differences, and the concrete tools and practical / pragmatic approach.
History of TLI
- TLI was founded by David Curtis in 1996 in order to help Dharma students access the profound teachings of Tibetan Buddhism.
- TLI offices are located in Montana, but we serve dharma students and Buddhist centers all over the world.
- From 1996 through 2012, TLI hosted over 10 on-site meditation retreats (in California and Montana) and 20 Tibetan language seminars (all over the United States).
- Starting in 1995, TLI hosts 6 Tibetan Language Seminars that last 10 days to 3 weeks.
- Distance learning of Tibetan language began in 2007 (34 courses with many hundreds of students served) and distance learning of Buddhist topics began in 2012.
- Since 1996, TLI has published over 10 manuals for learning Tibetan, plus instructional DVDs, flashcards, etc. These are used worldwide by universities, Buddhist centers, and private Tibetan teachers, and individual students.
- Since 2006 TLI has offered classes and retreats in Montana on Tibetan cultural topics, most specifically Buddhism and its practices.
- In 2011, David founded Big Sky Mind, the branch of TLI which focuses on Buddhist study and meditation.
A master teacher, Lama David Curtis will guide you through the intricacies of the Tibetan language. He will help you study the language in a way that gives deeper meaning to your Tibetan prayers and practice texts. If your aspiration is to make the language of your Tibetan Buddhist texts and sadhanas come alive, then private study with David might be for you.
Lama David has given private lessons by telephone to dozens of students of all lineages of Tibetan Buddhism, including those entering the traditional three-year retreat, graduate school, and various translation schools. He also has worked with many students who seek mainly to enhance their private Buddhist practice.
David has given private lessons by telephone to dozens of students of all lineages of Tibetan Buddhism, including those entering the traditional three-year retreat, graduate school, and various translation schools. He also has worked with many students who seek mainly to enhance their private Buddhist practice.
DONATE TO TLI
Help Bring the Profound and Beautiful Tibetan Language to Modern Dharma Students All Over the World
We are committed to supporting practitioners from all Tibetan spiritual lineages by empowering students to read and translate the transcendent language of Classical Tibetan.
TLI is a 501( c)(3) educational nonprofit organization. We often operate with very limited funds. Please help us continue this work.