Completing the Level II Course, students are empowered to delve deeper into their study of Tibetan using various TLI reader/translation workbooks. As with previous courses, the group reads and studies a Classical Tibetan text such as the Heart Sutra in conjunction with the study of The Divine Tree Grammar Poem and Commentary. With Lama David as your experienced guide, we will study in an integrated manner to learn more about Tibetan grammar and vocabulary, as well as about Tibetan Buddhism.
Reading & Translating in Tibetan
- Additional information
- How This Course Works
- Required & Recommended Materials
- Course Details
- Course Instructor
- What Students Say about the Reading Course:
Reading & Translating in Tibetan
6-Week Continuation of the JR-JOL Reading Course
Those who have completed a Level II Course are encouraged to join the group. Enhance your ability to understand how it all fits together with a Tibetan text–let Lama David be your guide.
- The class will use John Rockwell’s excellent A Primer for Classical Literary Tibetan: selections from the grammar in Volume I in order to study his brilliant synopsis of the Gampopa’s Ornament of Precious Liberation in Volume II.
- The class will also use TLI’s new edition of the Divine Tree Grammar Poem and Commentary. (December 2021)
- 2 Student Handout Booklets sent during the Winter Course
This course will be a 6-week course by Zoom webinar. Student goal: to study 30 minutes of Tibetan per day.
Class Start Date: Thursdays, starting May 12, 2022.
Time: 5:00-6:45 pm Pacific Time
Duration: 6 Weeks
Hosted on: Zoom
Video Recordings of classes and live sessions: Available to students until September 7, 2022.
Tibetan Language Institute
How This Course Works
- Add this course to your cart.
- Purchase your study materials. See Required & Recommended Materials.
- Check out and pay. You will receive a confirmation of your purchase, and then shortly before the class start date, a personal welcome email with course details.
- For the duration of the course, class video recordings and study guides will be made available to you each week as you progress through the course.
Required & Recommended Materials
- The Divine Tree Grammar Poem Suite, 2nd edition
- Reader text TBA
Being able to access this kind of course from the comfort of your home or when you are traveling is a great opportunity to continue to deepen your relationship to the Dharma.
Weekly Class Meetings: 10 weeks on Thursdays
5:00 PM – 6:30 PM Pacific Time
6:00 PM – 7:30 PM Mountain Time
7:00PM – 8:30 PM Central Time
8:00PM – 9:30 PM Eastern Time
The principal instructor at TLI is David Curtis. He has a university degree in Classical language. David began his Dharma studies in 1980, traveling in 1984 to receive teachings from H.H. the Dalai Lama. He lived and trained at Kagyu Ling in France, in 1992 completing the traditional Tibetan Three-Year Retreat in meditation, yoga and philosophy. Subsequently David has sought teachings from all schools of Tibetan Buddhism.
In 1993 he began teaching the Tibetan language to students in Los Angeles. Many Rinpoches from Kagyu and Nyingma lineages have encouraged him to teach Tibetan and guide others in their meditation practice. As a teacher and author, Lama David established the nonprofit Tibetan Language Institute in 1996 and is its president and executive director.
Lama David combines his linguistic skills with a practitioner’s knowledge of Tibetan Buddhism. In 2007, Gochen Tulku Rinpoche (Tulku Sang-ngag Rinpoche) awarded him the title of Acharya (master teacher). For more information.
What Students Say about the Reading Course:
“Studying Tibetan has absolutely transformed my retirement–I can’t explain my excitement when a formerly opaque liturgy or text suddenly jumps off the page with meaning! So I can’t thank you & David enough for all you that offer. –Richard D
“A primary hope of mine was that learning classical Tibetan would deepen my understanding and love of Buddhadharma. It has done so immeasurably, and much, much more…. –Jim L.